31 March 2011

There is method in the madness

Hello,


in the past couple of days (years..) I have been trying to finalize some of the  methodology I intend to use to analyse my samples. It started all one morning, the sky was grey outside and the computer took its usual 20 minutes to boot up (all because of some UEA glitch), a pretty standard day if you ask me. Anyway I though..."let's analyse some of the samples I collected on the cruise!". 


I analysed my lab samples before for certain parameters, like Particulate Organic Carbon (POC) on filters. However because my latest samples came from open ocean, a new pre-analytical step has to be added to it.  The problem started when I had to decide on the length of time the filters need to be treated. I really think there aren't many scientists that agree on that and it's surprising how many papers aren't clear on the topic! Because of this I will have to find out on my own...by doing some more tests! And in the mist of everything else I need to do really I didn't need this for sure! In the end I cannot just pick a random method, I need to know that works. This is because when the time will come for me to discuss and defend my thesis (yeyyyy...I dream of the day...) I will have to justify all my choices. It wasn't just POC but POP (Particulate Organic Phosphorus) as well and various others.

That morning for a moment I thought...the known quote " there is method in the madness" must come from science...but actually after googling the phrase, it came out that dear old Shakespeare had his finger in it. (I often think that Shakespeare and Oscar Wild must have come up with at least 30% of the world quotes. joking). Anyway this particular phrase comes from Hamlet (1602):

Polonius:
"Though this be madness, yet there is method in 't. Will you walk out of the air, my lord?"

and the madness continuous... till next time, Ciao.


No comments:

Post a Comment